Kila Jisi

As announced on twitter some weeks ago, Cameroon’s charismatic and emblematic captain, Rigobert Song Bahanag is back home after treatment at Pitie-Salpetriere in Paris.

The former Liverpool player took ill in October 2016 when he suffered brain aneurysm was hospitalized at the Yaoundé Emergency Centre where his condition stabilized before he was taken to Paris.

Returning yesterday, he was received by Doh Bobga Macias, Representative of the Minister of Sports and physical Education at the VIP hall of the Yaoundé Nsimalen Airport and warmly hugged by family members.

Bernadette Song, Rigobert Song’s mother was elated seeing her son. ”To be here to celebrate the return of Song, I am overwhelmed with happiness. I joked that he left like a passenger without a ticket, but today he has come back on his feet. I thank Cameroonians and the presidential couple for loving him so much”.

Though lean, looking good in his short hair, Song in his usual jovial manner joked, “The Lions came back with the trophy, what again, a retired person?”

He said the reception reminded him of the good old days when he came back with the team to a hilarious welcome.

Many Cameroonians doubted Song’s return set for April 1 a day when lies are permitted.
“This is not ‘April fool’, in reality, I am here. Having left Cameroon under conditions you all know, today I am back by the grace of God.

“My appreciation to the presidential couple who did everything for me came back to the people who have always supported me.

“To come out of a heart issues without a scar, I am thankful God and the Cameroonian people. I am healthy thanks to the doctors, I underwent three aneurysm operations.

Though he cannot remember what happened, he narrated, “When I opened my eyes the first reflex was to touch my head and I realized something was wrong, I was very far and I thank God for his mercy”.

Poueni Francoise a friend who went to Paris to bring back Song, explained, “I was there when Song arrived at Pitie-Salpetriere, operations followed immediately and he spent 40 days in coma”.

The doctor who operated him said, “This is the first time a patient with three ruptures, who spent three days in hospital before being airlifted and survives after eight days. This was God’s wonders”.

Lots of fans came to welcome the 2000, 2002 champion and he waved eagerly to them. He said, “I am short of words, I wonder if thank you is enough for all the Cameroonians, but all I can say, is thank you.

Cameroonians prayed for ‘Mayan’ to come back and visited him in hospital and told him, ‘come back it is not time to die’, and for that Song remains grateful.

Following a series of tests and controls the coach of the amateur Lions is ready to get back to work and already has a programme in mind.

“After the control and I was told I could start my work, I will start preparing the CHAN set to take place in four months in four months.

Leave a Reply